Friday, September 5, 2008

Does she know 6 words?

That was the question the Pediatric Neurologist from Primary Children's Hospital asked me this morning while she examined Rebecca at the NICU Follow-up clinic.

"Does she know 6 words?"
I asked her if she meant: does Rebecca say 6 consecutive words in a sentence. And Dr. Benedict corrected me and said, "No. Does she know and speak a total of 6 words?"

HELLO??? She clearly has not been around Rebecca OR Mary-Gail. They speak 6 words to me when I'm getting them out of their crib!!

"Morning!" is what Rebecca will always say. "Outside in the world" is what Mary-Gail says. (After I change her diaper I carry her to her window and open the drapes & blinds and say "Good morning to everyone outside in the world" to which Mary-Gail repeats the last part).

Dr. Benedict said the criteria for an 18 month old is to speak 6 words, know 4 body parts, respond to & point to objects in picture books when you ask where it is ("where's the ball?"), and have developed fine & gross motor skilss. Well, what do you do when your 18 month old (adjusted age) beats all the criteria for most 3 year olds?

Our visits this morning went well. I had the girls in for their appointments by 8:15am and we were done by 10:45am. We saw the Pediatric Opthamologist, Dr. Driese, and then Rebecca saw Dr. Benedict, the Pediatric Neurologist. Rebecca & Mary-Gail both passed their eye exams (they had to have their eyes dilated) and Rebecca passed her neuro exam. Although, here is a funny story:

Dr. Benedict asked me questions like: Does she walk? Does she run? Does she jump? Does she kick a ball? Does she throw a ball overhand? And then she asked if Rebecca stacked blocks. I said we have large Legos that she puts together to build upon, but Dr. Benedict needed to know if Rebecca put blocks on top of each other - 2 blocks, then 4, then 6, then 8, ...

I told her we didn't have blocks, but quickly reported that Rebecca is an expert with her shape-sorter and puts the colored shapes in their corresponding spots without assistance. Dr. Benedict was impressed but couldn't give Rebecca a 100% on her exam because Rebecca didn't have "experience" stacking blocks. So, let me understand something - my daughter speaks very well, knows 10 body parts (she only needed to know 4 body parts to "pass" that part of the exam), she has excellent fine motor skills, but doesn't stack blocks. Therefore, she doesn't pass the Gross Motor Skill part of the test...? OK. I just wanted to be clear. Dr. Benedict agreed that it was ridiculous, but it was a "gray area" she said.

4 comments:

PacPaliGoulds said...

Hey Amanda! You are a great Mom! You should get the practice test! Do you still have any of Nana's jewels? YOu could sell them on ebay - big money!
Sarah Powley Gould

Kemp Kuties said...

Sarah - It's good to hear from you! Are ya'all planning/building your house in LA yet? How's it going?

I DO have some jewels of Nana's still, although my faves have seen better times (some of the jewels have fallen off, the claps are broken, etc), but I still LOVE them and LOVE the memories of discovering them w/you in your basement! Good times.

Send me a pic of you and your kidlets - I'd love to see Ruth :)

akak5@yahoo.com

Spence and Car said...

manda your babies are so smart. almost too smart i wonder when they are going to call me and becca WILL TELL ME! all the silly things she has done. and blocks who needs blocks when you can sign everything you can imagine at the age of 18months. i think you should get 'em certified to interpert sign language and then jo can hire them at the office for some of our patients. what can i say my baby girls are briliant!!

Unstoppable Lindsey said...

I know you don't know who I am, but I found out that you posted a blog about Signing Time once. Since having read this most recent blog, I wanted to see if you would be interested in receiving a screener for our upcoming Baby Signing Time 3 & 4 DVDs that will be released in October. I know Rebecca and Mary-Gail have watched it in the past, but I wanted to see if you would be willing to give a honest review on this product and tell me if it has helped your girls progress.

If you are interested in receiving the screeners, please contact contest@signingtime.com with the subject line: Blog review. In the body, please include your full name, complete address, blog URL and phone number.

If you review the product, you also have the opportunity to be entered into our Blog contest, where you could win the Baby Signing Time Gift Set that includes Baby Signing Time 1,2,3,4 and accompanying music CDs. For more information about the blog contest, please visit: http://www.signingtime.com/blog/2008/09/blog-competition/.

Thank you,
Lindsey Blau
Communications Manager
Two Little Hands Productions

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007