Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Rebecca is saying, "Cheese!" and Mary-Gail is saying, "Hi!"
Rebecca starts walking, falls, says, "Owie" and then crawls to my lap to say "Hi!" and "Cheese"
Mary-Gail is walking from the office to our bedroom to join her mischievous sister in the bathroom. I love Mary-Gail's little duck-tail curl in her hair (small and petite just like her). When Mary-Gail reaches the bathroom, I call her name and she turns and gives me a smile. It looks like Rebecca's ransacked the dirty clothes hamper (socks are strewn across the bathroom floor), and she's also accessed the bathroom drawers and pulled things out.
Rebecca's favorite past time: emptying our dresser drawers.
The girls and I stayed at my mom's house the week of Monday, April 21st - Thursday, April 25th. We were having a new furnace and A/C unit installed, I didn't want the workers and the girls to be in each other's way. Staying at Mom's those 4 days was the best thing ever, because Mary-Gail started walking! Actually walking - more than 4 or 5 steps at a time!!
When Mary-Gail would start to crawl, I'd say, "stand up," which she would, and then she'd just start walking. Walking!!! It was an amazing thing to see. I wanted to e-mail this video to all the neonatologists who had basically written Mary-Gail off due to her brain bleeds. Take that!!!
(P.S. Not to exclude Rebecca, she does make a quick apperance in the video - the flash of purple at the end is her foot trying to kick me to get my attention. Where does she get her attitude from?)
Mary-Gail bundled up after being outside watching kites fly
Un-bundled and using Cy's walking toy
Cy like to try and bite JoJo's lips
I think he got her lips!
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
- Morning Edition - most of the time I get my news from here since I'm too lazy to get up early anymore and catch CNN as I walk. They also air "This I believe" commentaries each morning.
- RadioWest w/Doug Fabrizio - I usually catch the 7 pm re-broadcast since I'm busy with the girls. Did you hear his interview with David Isay? David Isay is the founder and producer of Story Corps (aired on KUER each Friday morning). I love listening to Story Corps and want to seek out a Story Corps booth and record something. What about David's interview with blogger Frank Warren about his blog Postsecret? It was a very interesting interview which made me visit the his blog. There was also an interview with someone in PA who created a website for missing gloves. Very interesting...
- Fresh Air w/Terry Gross - Terry Gross is coming to the Capitol Theatre; wish I had money to see her (Tony would come w/me, but he'd moan about it).
- P.R.I's The World - I like their geo-quizzes, but I never know the location of where they're talking about.
- All Things Considered - I really like the news anchors
- Marketplace - Just a constant reminder that I need to roll my 401-k over to an IRA. Still haven't done it!!!
Saturday is a great line-up too:
- Weekend Edition - more news to catch up on
- Car Talk - seriously the BEST talk show and the brothers are hilarious. Very contagious laughter
- Wait, Wait. Don't tell me - another great news game show. I especially like when the cast has Roy Blount, Jr. & Paula Poundstone. One day you'll hear Carl Kasell's voice on my answering service.
- American Routes - listen to this all the time. I fell in love with old gospel and spiritual songs when we lived in Charleston. One song that sticks in my head is "Black Superman (Muhammed Ali)." "...that Black Superman. He floats like a butter-fly and stings like a bee..."
- A Prairie Home Companion - Garrison Keillor's dry humor is great. Plus, he can whip up a song in a heart beat. My grandma & grandpa next door would have listened to this radio program.
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Our first Popsicles. And who do we get to share them with?
Rebecca has sucked her popsicle to a point
It's sooo cold!!!
Rebecca is a pro at this.
Mary-Gail couldn't quite get that you hold the popsicle stick;
Pappy helped by breaking off some popsicle.
Pappy tried to share his banana popsicle with the girls -
NO THANK YOU! They will have nothing to do with bananas!!
WE LOVE ROOT BEER POPSICLES!!!
Thursday, April 17, 2008
I must be such a mean mommy. I don't carry Mary-Gail everywhere I go. I must be mean...
Mary-Gail is so close to walking! She has taken 4 un-assisted steps last Tuesday, and 5 un-assisted steps with CarCar & Spencer last Friday. Tony & I have seen her take a few steps here and there, but once she realizes she's on her own, she drops and crawls to you for you to carry her. My Mary-Gail is voicing her objections that I won't carry her.
She cries "UP!" I said, "Let's walk," and she smiled and took my hand. Silly Mary-Gail. You can do it, I know you can!!!
JoJo, CarCar, Jed, and the kidlets stopped by yesterday just in time for snacks! See this little guy? The one sandwiched between his cute Aunite CarCar and cute Mommy.
This is Cy. He will be ONE YEAR OLD on Friday and can you believe he has been walking for a month now? Amazing! Happy birthday buddy!! Rebecca & Mary-Gail get to attend their first birthday party...oh, what to wear, what to wear :)
Mary-Gail eyeing Gage's "LEGO" fruit snacks
The first attempt...
The second attempt...
...Gage let Mary-Gail have his fruit snack. What a nice cousin!
Monday, April 14, 2008
Last night I had Rebecca & Mary-Gail in my arms feeding them and I asked Tony, "Lovey, [pause] can you get me a cough drop?" Only to hear Rebecca say, "Lovey? Lovey?" Can you believe that?! I seriously need to get a voice recorder, or just fix my broken camera. UGH!!
Rebecca's new favorite word is CANDY (thank goodness she doesn't know the meaning of "candy" yet). She also says COOKIE and completely understands what that means. Pappy has "cookie time" with Rebecca & Mary-Gail and they get sooo excited when he comes over for COOKIES. Here are some of the other words that Rebecca is saying:
- "ah -oh"
- "neigh-neigh" (for her horse)
- "bee" (in lou of her "Hello Bee" book)
- "Pretty" as she puts my headbands on her head. This is really funny because she will hardly move after putting the headband on - her mannerisms are hilarious!
- "open" as she points to my cell phone. She calls it "open" because she has to open the top to access the buttons.
- "moo-moo" for cows and her ride-on cow
- "up" "down" as she climbs up and goes down
- "peas" (for 'Please')
- "taste" for a taste of my Diet Coke
- "Pixeeeee" (and she'll pat her leg for Pixie to come)
- "baby" (as she signs it)
- "all done" (as she frantically signs it)
Today Rebecca heard me gargling after brushing my teeth, so she started to gargle on her saliva!
Sunday, April 13, 2008
Tony brought the girls down after their nap. They played with Amy, Isaac, & Travis, and showed them their skills at making beautiful music on the piano.
Mary-Gail says, "Wasn't that the most beautiful piece you've ever heard?"
Isaac takes over to show them what "real" music sounds like
Meanwhile, Rebecca re-energizes herself with massive sucks from her sippy cup, races to the kitchen, "crab-crawls" back underneath Travis...
...and reaches me. She's safe!
Isaac plays with Mary-Gail; Travis introduces Rebecca to foliage
Mary-Gail tries to escape; Rebecca starts to eat the foliage
Travis is definitely going to be Mary-Gail's gymnastics coach!
And the grand finale...viola!
I called JoJo after dinner Wednesday night (4/9) and asked her,
"who thinks it's a good idea to give kids lasagna for dinner?" She said,
"only if it's bath night."
Rebecca looking very satisfied. She's not only got a full tummy, but
she also managed to leave room for a double-stuffed Oreo cookie.
That's my girl!!
Mary-Gail practicing her "wink"
I guess it was bath night for us. Hooray!