Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I seriously love NPR!

My family thinks I'm crazing for only listening to public radio. But I love it! My local public radio station, KUER 90.1, has great programs:
  • Morning Edition - most of the time I get my news from here since I'm too lazy to get up early anymore and catch CNN as I walk. They also air "This I believe" commentaries each morning.
  • RadioWest w/Doug Fabrizio - I usually catch the 7 pm re-broadcast since I'm busy with the girls. Did you hear his interview with David Isay? David Isay is the founder and producer of Story Corps (aired on KUER each Friday morning). I love listening to Story Corps and want to seek out a Story Corps booth and record something. What about David's interview with blogger Frank Warren about his blog Postsecret? It was a very interesting interview which made me visit the his blog. There was also an interview with someone in PA who created a website for missing gloves. Very interesting...
  • Fresh Air w/Terry Gross - Terry Gross is coming to the Capitol Theatre; wish I had money to see her (Tony would come w/me, but he'd moan about it).
  • P.R.I's The World - I like their geo-quizzes, but I never know the location of where they're talking about.
  • All Things Considered - I really like the news anchors
  • Marketplace - Just a constant reminder that I need to roll my 401-k over to an IRA. Still haven't done it!!!

Saturday is a great line-up too:

  • Weekend Edition - more news to catch up on
  • Car Talk - seriously the BEST talk show and the brothers are hilarious. Very contagious laughter
  • Wait, Wait. Don't tell me - another great news game show. I especially like when the cast has Roy Blount, Jr. & Paula Poundstone. One day you'll hear Carl Kasell's voice on my answering service.
  • American Routes - listen to this all the time. I fell in love with old gospel and spiritual songs when we lived in Charleston. One song that sticks in my head is "Black Superman (Muhammed Ali)." "...that Black Superman. He floats like a butter-fly and stings like a bee..."
  • A Prairie Home Companion - Garrison Keillor's dry humor is great. Plus, he can whip up a song in a heart beat. My grandma & grandpa next door would have listened to this radio program.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Amanda. I too love NPR and can't imagine a morning without it! I've definitely had several 'driveway' (or in my case, 'beltway') moments where I am absolutely captivated by the story or message. Does your station have the Writer's Almanac? I love hearing Garrison Keillor in the morning. There was one story corp piece that Jamie, all of my co-workers, and myself heard on the way to work and we were all in tears as we recounted it. I love those moments.

Scott and Jillian said...

I like to listen to NPR once in a while. So, unless I'm getting old ...oh, no! ;)

The Brown's said...

Manda good for you to listen to something GOOD! I have become addicted to the CHUNGA show not so good!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007