Monday, April 14, 2008

REBECCA, our little mimicker

Rebecca has the amazing talent of mimicking anything you say - words, sounds, facial expressions. She loves to hear Tony squeak his lips and tries desperately to get the same result when she attempts the squeak. Rebecca was awestruck the first time she heard Tony whistle to her and Mary-Gail. Since then, she's tried to whistle back: her little, plump lips make the "form" of a whistle, but all that comes out is a soft, sutle blow. Rebecca seems to learn and remember new words all the time now. Sadly, this means that my baby is growing up, and soon her sweet jibber-jabber will be a distant memory.

Last night I had Rebecca & Mary-Gail in my arms feeding them and I asked Tony, "Lovey, [pause] can you get me a cough drop?" Only to hear Rebecca say, "Lovey? Lovey?" Can you believe that?! I seriously need to get a voice recorder, or just fix my broken camera. UGH!!

Rebecca's new favorite word is CANDY (thank goodness she doesn't know the meaning of "candy" yet).
She also says COOKIE and completely understands what that means. Pappy has "cookie time" with Rebecca & Mary-Gail and they get sooo excited when he comes over for COOKIES. Here are some of the other words that Rebecca is saying:

  • "beep-beep-beep"
  • "ah -oh"
  • "haa-haa"
  • "neigh-neigh" (for her horse)
  • "bee" (in lou of her "Hello Bee" book)
  • "go!"
  • "Pretty" as she puts my headbands on her head. This is really funny because she will hardly move after putting the headband on - her mannerisms are hilarious!
  • "open" as she points to my cell phone. She calls it "open" because she has to open the top to access the buttons.
  • "moo-moo" for cows and her ride-on cow
  • "up" "down" as she climbs up and goes down
  • "peas" (for 'Please')
  • "taste" for a taste of my Diet Coke
  • "Pixeeeee" (and she'll pat her leg for Pixie to come)
  • "baby" (as she signs it)
  • "all done" (as she frantically signs it)

Today Rebecca heard me gargling after brushing my teeth, so she started to gargle on her saliva!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! Little talking gal! The language acquisition of baby babes is absolutely adorable and fascinating. I can't wait to have a little chat with Rebecca when we visit in May!

The Chrismans said...

How about you start working on her saying, "JoJo?"

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007