Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Grandpa is with Jesus

I have a bulletin board with pictures of family on it in the Kitchen. Rebecca & Mary-Gail fondly point to it and identify who the picture is of. They focus mainly on "baby Cy-Cy" "Bam-bah" "Carol" & "Daddy."

Several weeks ago, Rebecca said, "Grompa" while pointing at the pictures. I thought she was referring to Tony (sorry Lovey!) and I corrected her. But she continued and insisted on "Grompa." I saw the picture she was referring to - the one of Great Grandma & Grandpa Gourley outside the church the day Rebecca & Mary-Gail were blessed.

"Oh, that is Grandpa. Grandpa is in Heaven," and I continued with what I was doing. Rebecca was so perplexed - she pulls her eyebrows together so tightly that they actually touch each other - and I explained, "Grandpa is in Heaven, with Jesus." "Jesus" said Rebecca nodding, and then she ran off to play.

Now, every time she looks at the picture board, she sees Grandpa, signs it (she signs Grandma, but it's close enough) and says, "Grandpa...Jesus" and is very satisfied.

2 comments:

Scott and Jillian said...

It's so nice that we have the gospel. It makes things like death much easier to explain, instead of trying to figure out what to say like they do on TV. My kids are comforted,too, when we explain that Papaw is with Jesus.

Spence and Car said...

manda that is really cute, its interesting that they can remember everything you say and then use it again all in proper context

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007