Monday, September 8, 2008

My little eaters

Rebecca is my Rock Eater. Mary-Gail is my Bug Eater.

I've started having Rebecca & Mary-Gail walk a few blocks on our daily walk, instead of me pulling them in the wagon the entire time. It's been a wonderful experience for me and the girls, but not so wonderful for Pixie & ArlaMae (they are panting terribly by the time we get home b/c our normally 20 minute walk now takes us 45 minutes).

Each time we walk down the quiet residential street, Mary-Gail spots "bucks" (bugs) and gets all giddy and laughy. (She is the easiest person to please and by far the happiest little person ever!) She always stops to look closer and then says, "sit" and sits down on the sidewalk, as if she were going to carry on a conversation with this "buck." Time and time again she'll come running towards me with her arm outstretched with something in her pincher's - the roly poly she so lovingly stopped to see, has been lovingly chewed up. Mary-Gail is always giving me things she's chewed up, and most of them are roly polies.

Rebecca likes to sample rocks. She sometimes licks rocks, or sometimes puts them in her mouth, BUT she always looks at me before doing so. I guess it's kind of like a "heads-up" notice. I say "Danger Rebecca. Yucky" (Mary-Gail is copying what I've said and puts extra emphasis on the "yucky" by spitting) and Rebecca stops. But, like Mary-Gail, time and time again I've caught Rebecca trying to sample the rocks around our block and in our yard.

I thought at first that Rebecca & Mary-Gail were doing this because they were deficient in a vitamin/nutrient/mineral. But I've now concluded that they're kids and kids do silly & weird stuff. Just please don't let either of them start sampling grasshoppers.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I can so vividly see them on their walk exploring and loving their world! I wish we could go on walks together. I am at a loss for baby foods--what do you recommend feeding one year olds, other than rocks and bugs?

Kemp Kuties said...

Jessica,
Toddlers are so finiky about food. I swear their tastes change as they make the transition from baby food to "people food" (as Tony says). But trying new foods and feeding babies/toddlers is one area where I feel like I have tried EVERYTHING.

Talk about taste bud changes: Rebecca & Mary-Gail loved sweet potatoes so much as babies they were turning orange - no lie. Now, they are disgusted that I even mention that vegetable. Ugh.

I have some tricks and some ideas that worked for the girls and I'll pass those along through your gmail/hotmail account.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007