Thursday, July 9, 2009

We're SQUARES around here

I have been wanting to show Grandma & Grandpa Kemp how much Rebecca & Mary-Gail absolutely love their books & crave reading. So, after I read this fun blog & post, I had the girls help me gather a few favorites for our picture.

(Seriously, this is a skimmed-down version of what the girls picked out!)

Story time around here is filled with request after request after request - not just a minutes or just a few books. The girls constantly pull books from their bookshelf (I need to get another one - theirs is overflowing) and request me to read to them. I chuckle at their request, only because they have the books memorized! I used to leave the last word of the sentence off and have the girls fill-in-the-blank; now I'll skip words in the middle of the sentence, or I'll leave 3 or 4 of the words off at the end of the sentence, and let Rebecca & Mary-Gail fill them in.

(Some of the books are missing in the 1st picture - Becca & Mary-Gail couldn't wait for me to finish arranging the books, so they snatched back their books)
Mary-Gail still loves "The Monster at the End of This Book" and will quote lines from it daily. She also loves "The 10 Best Things About My Dad," "I Love you More," (she says that to us when we say to her, "I love you"), anything & everything "Mermaid" (that's been a big help in getting her potty-trained: she has Ariel patties & loves them!), and "In Grandma's Arms."

I've noticed that Mary-Gail (my bi-lateral, grade 3-brain hemorrhage, supposed to have sever Cerebral Palsy & confined to a wheel chair, 27-weeker) remembers lines from the books easily, and knows when Lovey tries to skip a page or two!

Rebecca loves the "I Spy" book series, all "Dora" books (although Dora panties are no help with potty-training this little girl), "Can you Find Me?" and more "mature" reading from the Scholastic Books "Plenty of Penguins," and "Don't Eat the Teacher!" She is very specific about who reads the books and how the books are to be read. And if you (me) read the book "wrong," Becca says," No, no, Mommy. Read it this way." Stunning. Sometimes Lovey just points to the picture, and Rebecca & Mary-Gail read the entire line (they've got great memorization skills!)

We all love the "Little People Lift the Flaps" books, "That's Not My..." book series, Dr. Suess books, and Sandra Boynton books. I've gotten wise to Rebecca & Mary-Gail's "tricks" to stay up late (they'll continue their requests for "more books! read more books!"), but now I send them to bed with one. I smile when I read my friend Jessica's blog and her narrative of her cute twin boys wanting more "bookies" too.
And my Lovey, well he loves it when it's finally singing time and prayer time!

No comments:

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007