Thursday, January 14, 2010

The fireworks show of the century

Don't say this 3-letter word at our house - N A P. That is unless you want to see a fireworks show, put on by Rebecca & Mary-Gail, that rivals the Stadium of Fire fireworks.

You know those fireworks that "scream" to the point of hearing loss, while they're turning different colors for a good 10 seconds? Rebecca & Mary-Gail (mostly Rebecca) tops the sound and the colors of those fireworks. And because of this fantastic fireworks show, my two sweet daughters have not taken a N A P for what seems like a billion months (since October, really).

No naps? I need those naps as much as Rebecca & Mary-Gail do; it's my 1 1/2 hr to get things done! I insisted on keeping the 1 1/2 hrs allotted for nap time, but changed it to "quiet time" where we'd watch a little rest show instead. Rebecca & Mary-Gail won't sleep through a show, and I know that, but somehow I thought that if they were calm & quiet and occupied with a show, that it would be the equivalent of a good 1 1/2 hrs nap.

Oh, not so! Our afternoons turned into drama, after drama, after drama, and then bedtime became earlier, and earlier, and earlier. I finally put the cabosh on it all when Mary-Gail began crawling in our bed at 5:00 am! So, "quiet time" is nap time again (only we don't say 'nap'). However, it's a little more complex than it used to be, with Rebecca & Mary-Gail's big girl beds & even bigger girl attitudes.

Nap time got moved an hour later to 1:30 - 3:00 pm (used to be 12:30 - 2:30 pm when they used to take 2 hour naps). We read books before nap time, like we used to do, only I don't mention that we're taking a nap. Instead I say something like, "Let's go potty, and then get in our spots," and that seems to do the trick. Although I still hear from Rebecca, "We're not taking a nap!" I assure her that "we're just going to get in our spots and rest."

I sit in the hallway reading my book/scriptures/making lists/whatever, keeping a slanted eye on Rebecca & Mary-Gail's doorways making sure they stay in their beds. They can grab a book, a stuffed animal, a toy, but they cannot get out of their beds. Mary-Gail will inevitably fall asleep (such is the case for a good little thumb-sucker like her), but Rebecca is so stubborn (wonder where she gets that from?) and refuses to even try to fall asleep. I'll let her come out around 2:15/2:30pm, after a good 40 - 60 minute attempt, and when Rebecca does come out of her room, she reminds me, "SHhhh, Be quiet. Mary-Gail is sweeping." :)

Mary-Gail asleep @ "nap time" today
Rebecca, totally NOT taking a nap
I don't blame her - having Daddy all to yourself is so worth it!

1 comment:

The Bradys said...

Hello Amanda!

I just had a chance to see your blog (thanks to your Christmas letter invite:). . .which Hailey carries throughout the house everyday, pointing out her friends Becca and Mary-Gail). And I must say, having one thumb-sucker of my own, it definitely helps in the sleep department. . .even if it irritates me the rest of the day:). Send me your e-mail at debolah@gmail.com and I'll send you an invite to our blog!

Deborah

P.S. Hailey saw a merry-go-round the other day and couldn't stop saying, "Let's go ride the Mary-gail-round" and giggling. She, and we, absolutely love your girls!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007