Saturday, January 30, 2010

Being creative



This book happens to be one of Rebecca & Mary-Gail's favorites! (They have so many). I bought Harold & the Purple Crayon at Barnes & Noble a few months ago on a whim, and I'm happy to see that it has become a favorite read.

Tonight Lovey was reading Harold, and I was acting out the story. Harold drew an apple tree, and thought the apples would taste so much better when they turned red, so he drew a "frightening dragon under the tree. The dragon was so frightening that it scares Harold, who backs away with his hand shaking..."

I sign "scared" (elbows bent, palms facing towards your body, with fingers spread open. Move fingers towards each other) and act as though I'm terrified of the dragon - you know: eyes wide, jaw dropped with mouth open, and shaking. Becca jumped off the bed, rushed to me, and put her hands on my knees. Here's what Becca said:

Becca: "Mom, Mom! He's pre-tend-ing. It's OK."

Hilarious! I must have been doing a good acting job for Becca to enunciate and stress the word "Pre-tend-ing." I'm so glad my 3-year old has my back.

3 comments:

Ann said...

That is so funny! You are such an awesome mom to act out the story. I can already tell that Halle is going to come home with great stories about all the fun she has at preschool.

noy9ers said...

Harold and the purple crayon was one of my favorite books when I was a kid however I don't think I got as much out of it as you guys did at your house. Ya'll are so fun!!!

Holly said...

How cute. What a sweet gal. We'll look for that book at the library.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007