Sunday, September 6, 2009

We lasted 18 minutes last week (Draft dated: 7/19/09)

That's how long we were at church last Sunday - 18 minutes. Church is at 1:00 pm, just in time for naps. Rebecca was particularly tired (more so than usual) and her 2-year old coping-skills had evaporated in the 90 degree heat. On the other hand, Mary-Gail was particularly mischievous and quite the tease, which lead to Rebecca's breakdown.

We all know that Mary-Gail has her blanket, her "Tickah," which is vital & completely necessary if we want to calm the child down, which is why I always bring it to church with us. Rebecca wanted the blanket, because she was super tired and wanted a blanket to go to sleep. However, Mary-Gail would not let anyone touch her Tickah. Never before has Rebecca wanted a blanket with her at church, so I never bring one. But when Mary-Gail stubbornly objected to sharing her Tickah with Rebecca, Rebecca dramatically collapsed, fell off the bench, and hit her head on the song-book holder in front of us. I was wrestling with Mary-Gail to be quiet (Mary-Gail was livid because as Rebecca fell off the bench, she grabbed for something to catch her and it happened to be Mary-Gail's Tickah); Tony was trying to calm Rebecca, and the Deacons were getting ready to bless the Sacrament. Tony swept Rebecca off the floor and hustled out the doors before the Sacrament prayer began - I stayed seated with Mary-Gail.

We received the bread, and of course, Mary-Gail wanted more (and she doesn't whisper when she wants something either). I passed the bread onwards, and glanced back at Mary-Gail. Mary-Gail had a terrible mischievous smile on her face, and I quickly found out why when she showed me her finger. She had picked her nose, and on her pointer finger was a booger nearly an inch long!! I quickly (and as discretely as I could) wrapped her boogered finger in her Tickah, only to notice there were blood spots dropping onto the blanket. Mary-Gail's nose was bleeding - a fountain of blood! Oh my goodness!!!

I used Mary-Gail's Tickah to wipe her nose, lip, & mouth off. Then I wrestled with the diaper bag to get a wet-wipe to wipe my shirt off, and to wipe the back of the bench off (there was blood everywhere!). I tried cradling Mary-Gail in my arms with her head lowered a bit (to try and get her nose to stop gushing), but Mary-Gail was flailing like I was drowning her. It seemed as though she & I were the only two people making noise during the Sacrament; or maybe everyone was just holding their breath as they watched us (maybe they were thinking they were glad it wasn't them).
I could still her Rebecca screaming bloody-murder in the foyer, and realized she & Tony were not coming back in. I snatched the diaper bag, wrapped Mary-Gail's body in her Tickah and hustled out the doors - thankfully before the Deacons began the prayer on the water.

Lovey & I both looked at each other exasperated and said, "One word...Nightmare!" We lasted 18 minutes at church - from arrival to exit.

This Sunday we lasted through the entire sacrament meeting (with no fights over blankets and no picked/bloody noses), but I still brought the girls home afterwards anyways. I wonder why, now, after months of attending all 3-hours of church, that the girls are D O N E after sacrament. I think Tony & I will take turns bringing the girls home after Sacrament from now on, for a little while anyways. They are just so overly-tired. Perhaps we'll try getting through the 3-hour block in a few weeks. Tony is in nursery and loves being in there with the girls. Plus, the girls absolutely love playing with their "friends."

2 comments:

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

I hear you--we've hardly made it through a whole sacrament meeting since the kids turned one! Someday, maybe, I hope.

Holly said...

Well, if it's any consolation, I don't remember a thing about that "nightmare." From another perspective, you have nothing to be embarrassed about.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007