Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A chance to become an ASL instructor?

Most - if not all of you - know that I have been signing with Rebecca & Mary-Gail since October 2007, when they were 11 months old (8 months corrected age). And most of you know that I almost gave up signing with them since they "weren't responding" to my signs and signing back to me. However, in early January, 2008, (a long three months later) Rebecca made her first sign for "more" and I was hooked! Now, both Rebecca & Mary-Gail have a huge vocabulary of words & signs and we continually learn & add more signs to our vocabulary through Signing Time and a great website I found, www.lifeprint.com.

I recently opened a Signing Time newsletter (via e-mail) and they are starting their Signing Time Academy soon! I had participated in a questionnaire from Signing Time inquiring about this program, and now they're launching their first phase for certifying their instructors. Can you believe it? A chance to become a certified Signing Time instructor and teach others sign language?

Whoa, I know what you're thinking...Amanda doesn't have any ASL training or education; and just being a mom who owns (& has memorized) all the Signing Time DVDs doesn't qualify you to be a Certified Instructor. Which is why this Signing Time Academy is so great - you can apply to become a Certified Instructor after you complete at least one formal ASL class, submit a video of you signing, and of course go through a rigorous application & interview process (including a background check).

So, I'm toying with the idea of getting started and enrolling in an ASL class. My niece is taking ASL in high school - wonder if they'd let a "30-something" audit the class. Hee-hee

7 comments:

No Big Dill said...

What I have to say:

GOOD FOR YOU!

Kellie Knapp said...

DO IT!!!! Utah is the BEST market for that! Everyone I knew who had younger babies wanted to teach them sign!! I think you would ROCK it MAJORLY. :)

Scott and Jillian said...

I took two semesters of ASL in college and I loved it! Having the background of already knowing a bunch of signs would put you way ahead in the class, too. It is such a fun & beautiful language. I say go for it!!

No Big Dill said...

Amanda! I'm so jealous about your sewing machine of choice! And those classes. Those are such a great tool to have, the knowledge of taking care of your machine, all the different presser feet out there, waiting to turn your project into something just a bit better. How fun. I'm excited to see what you do with it.

Holly said...

I could totally see you doing that. Go for it!

Spence and Car said...

ok i have 2 things to say about this: don't think or question it just do it you would be great! honestly spencer is gonna send our kids to amanda's signing camp so you might as well get paid to do something you love, helps others and you are good at. the other thing is you also need to get those twins on to signing time, i know you have been asked to do it before so stop being humble and do it!!! DO IT!!

Jessica said...

Do it. You already have the skills!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007