Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mormon Miracle Pageant

Saturday afternoon we shimmied on down to Manti, UT, for the Mormon Miracle Pageant. I remember going to this pageant with my family when I was younger, all of us loaded up in the Custom Deluxe Chevrolet Van. I took Lovey & our girls to see the pageant 2 years ago (he’d never seen the pageant before - being from South Carolina and all), and we were accompanied by his sister, Darleen & her daughter, Stephanie. Plus we met Carol and her kids there. It was a great time and we felt like it was time to go to the pageant again, and saw the last performance of this year.

I have always loved the drive to Manti, but I especially loved the drive this time. I sat in the back of the ‘Burb with the girls, who entertained me & Tony with their laughter and playfulness and questions. Rebecca kept asking us, "Where are we going?" and we would reply, "Manti, to see the pageant." After Rebecca had asked us, "Where are we going?" like a thousand times, Mary-Gail responded and said, "To Manti to see the pageant." At least I know one of my children listens.

Once we neared Ephraim you could see the Manti Temple perched on the hill. The temple glowed against the hillside, which was unusually green due to all the rain we’ve being having. We pointed it out to Rebecca & Mary-Gail who got equally excited to see the temple up close. Manti Temple is my favorite temple, it always has been. I received my Temple Endowments at the Manti Temple, (Lovey & I then took a temple-trip to California and hit the temples on our drive there), and Lovey & I were due to be sealed in Manti, but the weather was sour (it was January) and we didn't want to risk the drive. I shared these special experiences with Rebecca & Mary-Gail as we drove closer to the temple. I got choked up as I thought about my wee-ones getting married in the temple and envisioned me & Lovey being there with them on their special day. Oh, what a vision that was! I told them this, and Tony quickly replied, “That day better not happen for another 20 years!"

We arrived around 7 pm, quickly found a parking spot, unloaded our gear (Lovey was smart and brought a hand-truck to toe everything on), and found our spot from 2 years ago. I loved being on the temple grounds with my loving & devoted husband and my two beautiful daughters. The pageant recently added a new part to the production - Jesus Christ appearing to the American Continent after his resurrection. Very, very, very powerful. When the pageant started (9:30pm) Rebecca kept asking, "What is happening? Oh no! What is happening?!"

The pageant starts with a young couple, Robert & Mary, who are seeking answers to their questions: “Who are we? Where did we come from? And where are we going?" They find their answers through the teachings of the Prophet, Joseph Smith, who restored the gospel of Jesus Christ in all its fullness.

Their story is a side-story to the pageant: As Mary & Robert journey across the plains with the other Mormon Pioneers to Zion (Utah), Mary falls sick and dies. Her husband and young child finish the journey arriving in SLC, UT. They then journey south to Sanpete County, UT, but Robert doesn’t make it – he is hit in the heart by an Indian’s arrow. His faith of eternal families and being reunited with his wife always causes my feelings to overflow to tears. If you haven’t seen the pageant, you must! Go here to find out more: Mormon Miracle Pageant



Our Eternal Family - The Kemp Kuties


Lovey & Me with our angels, our miracle babies


Our set-up for the pageant: two new chaise lounge chairs (from our outing to Cabela's earlier that day), blankets, and a hand-truck to lug it all back to the car!


Rebecca happily eating her Red Vine Licorice (she is my daughter!)


Lovey & Mary-Gail on their way back from the car. Gratefully there weren't that many "protesters" this year (you can see one group on the far left of the picture - he's carrying a cross)
Passing the time: Rebecca rolled on top of Mary-Gail, then stood up, and rolled on her again. This emitted lots of laughter and resulted in lots of smiles from others


Hi my Lovey
Mary-Gail got a new shirt @ Walmart on our way into Manti. She decided to gag herself in the car, which, with Mary-Gail, always results in a throw-upy mess.


Rebecca super excited for her "outdoor show" to start


I dare you not to smile

38seconds

In this video, Mary-Gail was pretending she was sad and was hiding her face; Rebecca was trying to make her happy. I think her efforts were successful.

1min 11seconds

In this video, the girls are playing with Mary-Gail's "tickah" (her blanket). They were so slap silly the entire drive!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I too love the Manti temple and the drive to it. Utah is such a lovely state. I think pageants are weird but I am glad the kids had fun! I would have loved to be in the back of the 'burb with you!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007