Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Last Call

Tuesday at work one of the gals commented that her young son stayed up late watching a movie and didn't want to go to bed afterwards - he wanted to watch another one. I piped in - "We've been there." So, what do you do when your little ones have a serious all-out-breakdown when you say "no" to them? You circumvent the situation. Here's what Lovey and I do...

"LAST CALL." That's right: "Last Call." Becca and Mary-Gail know that when we say "last call" it's over - the movie, dinner, being crazy, reading books, whatever. "Last call" is our code name for done, finished, no more. However, we mostly use "Last Call" for reading books. I'll read with the girls until 7:45 pm and then I say, "Last Call," and the girls echo - "last call!" Becca will choose her last book, and Mary-Gail will choose hers, and they'll go find Lovey to join us. Lovey is in charge of reading the last 2 books. He makes it very clear to the girls that "this is the last book ever in the whole creation of reading books in tonight's nighttime-night," and then he'll have the girls rehearse to him what they do after he finishes reading the last book. The girls repeat the same thing every night, almost always in unison: "go potty, sing songs, say prayers, and go to bed."

Each night I watch Lovey reading to our girls, and my smile grows bigger (hard to imagine) and my heart swells with love for their interaction with each other. Lovey makes the high voices for the girls in the books (very comical), and he makes a great voice for the troll in The Three Billy Goats Gruff book. Animation is key for our little readers. Tonight I marveled at how similar Mary-Gail and Lovey are. Among other things they both love to read laying on their stomachs. Just thinking about that makes my back go into spasms. Becca and I prefer to sit up straight. So interesting that Mary-Gail looks like me, but has Lovey's family names and has his personality (easy going, carefree); and Becca looks like Lovey, but has my family names and has my personality (OCD, control-freak). I'll have to share how Lovey & I determined "who was who" when the girls were born...later






This is my favorite - Lovey shares a secret with Mary-Gail.


Aren't they just terribly cute?

No comments:

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007