Friday, December 10, 2010

Ying Yang & ArlaMae

We found out two weeks that ArlaMae is blind - glaucoma. It's permanent.

I took the girls (all four of them) on a very slow walk around the cul de sac 2 weeks ago. I had the furry girls on their leashes, and Becca & Mary-Gail rode their tricycles. I noticed that ArlaMae was nervous going down the steps from our house, and she wasn't fiercely pulling me by her leash to walk faster. Instead, she was right by my side (so not typical of ArlaMae and walks), but I didn't think anything of it until she walked right into the back of Mary-Gail's tricycle. This shook ArlaMae up some. And then she walked right off the sidewalk into the gutter and stumbled to get re-centered. ArlaMae started to do her yipping/crying sound, which usually means she's super excited, but in this case it meant she was super scared.

By the time we got around the cul de sac and "safely" back to our driveway, ArlaMae had walked off the sidewalk one more time. I suspected she couldn't see well, but the true telling factor was when I gave ArlaMae and Pixie their doggie treat. ArlaMae just sat on her haunches instead of getting super excited about a treat. I held the doggie treat out to Arla, just to the right of her, and she didn't see it. I moved to the left of her, held it out, and she still didn't see it. I called her name, and only then did she turn her head to me. Arla's eyes were blue - my baby's beautiful golden amber eyes were a cloudy blue.

Tony had to carry ArlaMae inside because she was so nervous about the cement steps. He took her to the Vet last week and had her blood drawn for diabetes and thyroid - which all came back normal. The Vet did an eye exam and confirmed that ArlaMae was blind due to glaucoma. The Vet said Arla could still lead a happy life, and that she would adapt and get more comfortable with her surroundings, but her vision would never return. I thought Tony was going to cry; ArlaMae is his baby.

ArlaMae still walks into the doors sometimes, and will walk into the chairs if we don't push them back in the table. Tuesday I took all the girls down to Aunt Carol's house to visit, and like usual I put the furry girls in Aunt Carol's back yard. When it was time to go, ArlaMae wouldn't budge - she was so scared. Even though she has been in their backyard countless times before, she could see then - she can't see now! I felt so awful for just leaving her there thinking she would be OK. Isaac ended up having to carry her home. Bless ArlaMae's little heart.



So our Ying Yang has been disrupted for a time. ArlaMae is, however, being very brave. I watch her climb the steps and see her thinking, "...seven, eight, nine." It hurts me to see her struggle to jump onto the couch or the bed; she's really just guessing how high, how hard to jump. I've kind of been up and down with my emotions anyways, and now with ArlaMae my emotions have gotten more crazy. I think December is going to be a roller coaster as ArlaMae & I settle into our new lives.

No comments:

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007