Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Watcha reading?

Need a good read? Try these books, which I've recently finished since being home from surgery:
  1. The Help, Kathryn Stockett
  2. One for the Money, Janet Evanovich
  3. Two for the Dough, Janet Evanovich
  4. Three to Get Deadly, Janet Evanovich
  5. Four to Score, Janet Evanovich
  6. A Long Way From Chicago, Richard Peck
  7. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Kate DiCamillo
  8. The Crippled Lamb, Max Lucado
I finished reading The Help, by Kathryn Stockett, when I got home from the hospital (a "must-read"; made me so grateful for human/equal rights). Then I lit into the book borrowed to me by Lori B. from the Parent Support @ the NICU. It was One for the Money, a Stephanie Plum novel, by Janet Evanovich. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series is about Stephanie Plum, an unemployed Jersey girl turned bounty hunter, who is always in the wrong place at the right time. I sent Lovey to the Library to get Two for the Dough, Three to get Deadly, Four to Score, (all of which were finished in quick succession) and I'm on a "waiting list" for High Five. There are thirteen Stephanie Plum novels in all, plus two "in-between-the-numbers" novels. So here's a super SHOUT OUT to Lori for getting me hooked!

Another SHOUT OUT to Ann for lending me A Long Way from Chicago, by Richard Peck. Oh, I loved this book (brother and sister from Chicago spend one week each summer visiting their grandma, who they know little of, and quickly come to realize 'Grandma' isn't your typical grandma). I'm headed to the library this week to get the sequel, A Year Down Yonder. I can't wait! Plus, Ann also lent me The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo, a very thought provoking quick read; and The Crippled Lamb, by Max Lucado. Ann highlighted this book on her blog not too long ago, and I'd wanted to read it ever since. Needless to say, I will definitely be purchasing this book for my little family, and it will be our new 2010 Christmas book (a little tradition of mine is to get a new Christmas book each year).

And my sis-in-law, DarDar, gave me three books which I am now mentally, emotionally, and spiritually ready to read: In the Hands of the Potter, by Camille Fronk Olson; Not My Will, But Thine, by Neal A. Maxwell; Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive, by Jack Canfield, et al. So another SHOUT OUT to DarDar. Thank You!

Now, if you're in need of a children's book, I have one for you.


A story about friendship between Alexander, the pesky house-mouse, and Willy, Annie's favorite wind-up toy. Alexander overcomes his jealousy of Willy, and does something so remarkable, so selfless, to save Willy from being thrown away. This book has become a favorite of ours. It's fun to create all the different voices for Alexander, Willy, and the Magic Lizard as you read it aloud. Plus, there's a good morale to the story, and that's always a bonus for me!

Pixie & ArlaMae love bedtime stories too

2 comments:

Holly said...

I'm so excited to have some new book recommendations. Thanks! Do you use GoodReads?

Kemp Kuties said...

Holly, I don't do GoodReads, but I know I should. I fear it would be too packed with all my favorite books. Perhpas over the holidays I'll look into it.

How's that baby of yours doin'?

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007