Sunday, February 28, 2010

Can you smell it?


The girls and I baked bread this morning. My house smells wonderful, and the girls & I worked so well together! I didn't announce anything - just got the ingredients out of the pantry - and Becca said, "What are we making Mommy?" I was thrilled that Becca knew I wanted her & Mary-Gail to help me, and therefore associated that we all were going to make something. The last time I made homemade bread was 4 years ago when Lovey & I lived in Charleston, SC; the dough literally wound up around my KitchenAid and I thought I had burned up the mixer. It sat atop my dryer for weeks until I decided to clean all the dried bread dough off it and put it away.


This past Thursday I attended a Provident Living mini-class about making bread. And our teacher, Bethany, was wonderful! She used to be my Visiting Teacher, and I've worked with her in the Activities Committee - let's just say she is awesome! Bethany, number 5 of 10 children (!!!) just had her first baby a month ago, and opened up her home to a dozen women to teach us bread making skills.


Becca and Mary-Gail took turns adding ingredients, and Becca manned the KitchenAid mixing speed. I got to measure the ingredients & handle the spatula. :) We decided to use our mini-loaf pans to make more loaves so we could share our delicious homemade bread. I whipped up some honeybutter, and viola'! Thank you Bethany for sharing your skills with us! Now, if I could only trade-in my KitchenAid for a Bosch - right after I trade-in my "Mini-Ultra" sewing machine for a Bernina!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

My sister loves to talk about how awesome her Bosch is blah, blah. Your bread looks awesome! I love the smell of freshly baked bread.

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

Yummy! Totally what I am going to do tomorrow, thanks!

Holly said...

Is Bethany all about Bosch? I should have gone to that class. I intended to, but it was too many nights out in one week.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007