Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Words

I am constantly astonished by Rebecca & Mary-Gail's ability to mimic every word they hear. They've always been good listeners and particularly good at pronouncing words. However, my astonishment turned into horror when I heard this:

Rebecca: "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. OH MY GOSH!"

Mary-Gail: "Crap. Crap. What did do? Ah, Crap!" (She leaves the "you" out of her sentence. Maybe she wishes I wouldn't say it to her either).

Rebecca: "Stop It! S T O P I T!!!"

Rebecca: "Scoop-id. Scoop-id." (That's her version of my word "stupid").

Does this give you a sense into my life right now? I really need to sensor my words, particularly around the littles. They are only 2 after all, and they are expected to get into things and make messes and throw tantrums. And I am expected to be more tolerant and loving and encouraging...

I ask myself this question again and again: How did my Mom do this with SIX children? And, mind you, we were not spread out...unless you call 13 months between me and JoJo a "spread."

4 comments:

Spence and Car said...

it must be hard having two really smart kids!!! but i still catch myself when i say shut-up! its hard to change your words and lets be honest crap is better than a lot of the other words you could use! but im glad you dont want to have that little girl that uses bad words, next thing you know she'll stand on top of a hill and shout that you know who isn't special but she is! jk love ya

Paige n' Kalani said...

They are seriously so cute! I can't believe how fast they are growing up!!

Ann said...

This is so funny! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has accidentally taught my daughter inappropriate language. The most frustrating part is, I don't even realize I say these things until after Halle says them. I just can't wait until your girls start calling people (and things) "cats".

The Chrismans said...

Just wait to see what else I teach them...pay back is rough and it will totally put a smile on my face! And about Carly's comment...you know who said that and apologies have been made :)

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007