Sunday, October 26, 2008

Did you know a virus could do this?


It's called the Enterovirus and it was AWFUL!!! It started with fever, serious diarrhea, vomiting, and then had its last hurrah as a terrible rash all over my baby babe's bodies. Mary-Gail contracted the virus first, and bless her little heart, she was a trooper. She was so sick: anything she ate or drank came right back up - only minutes after she put it in her mouth! I did what I could to keep her hydrated (7-up & Coke helped settle her tummy for a short while, but they came right back up too). She lost 2 pounds in 7 days! Her poor little bottom was so raw from diarrhea, and then to have this hideous rash on top of it all. It was everywhere - it looked like a teenage boy's acne!

Our ped said they had Enterovirus: it typically lasts 7-10 days with the rash being the tail end of it. Well, the rash lasted 12 days(!!!!), but the diarrhea & vomiting ended after 7 days...for Mary-Gail. Poor Baby Becs's symptoms started a couple days after Mary-Gail's, and although Becca was NOT immune to the diarrhea and vomiting, she wasn't plagued with an explosive rash like Mary-Gail.

These viruses are NOT fun!!! But, since the girls have recovered (10/10 - 10/19) my house has been scoured with Clorox from top to bottom; my laundry has been washed, folded, AND put away; the girl's toys have been dishwashed and those that couldn't fit were wiped with Clorox wipes. I feel so responsible for having sick kids (I mean, they were deprived of their 3rd trimester when their Liver stores antibodies, nutrients, and minerals to help keep them healthy) so I throw all my energy into disinfecting and cleaning. Really, it is the LEAST I can do for my littles.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Evil virus! I hate it. I wondered where you had been...now, I know, nurturing sick baby babes and cleaning like crazy! When A&S got their first fever this summer it ended in a terrible rash that made them look like they were covered with chemical burns, bless.

Oh, Amanda. You did all you could to keep those little ones in your womb! I know that mother guilt, it too is evil. Hard to kick it, though. At least you should know you are doing all you can to protect your babies.

Jen and Dakota said...

I am so glad your babies are better! Dakota has a simlar thing, but Maria was there with me for the week he was sick cuz, Peter was back is SC. But we determined it was Rosiola.. but sounds very much the same!
I agree with the post above! You are doing a great job at raising those darling babies! They are cute as can be!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007