Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Eaters or Sleepers?

JoJo & I used to joke about how her kids were "eaters" and my kids were "sleepers." When Rebecca & Mary-Gail were babies, they slept through the night and took 2 naps a day - but they wouldn't eat. On the other hand, Cy, JoJo's boy, would eat - but he wouldn't sleep. I told her I'd trade to have eaters instead of sleepers. But then Rebecca & Mary-Gail got sick and wouldn't sleep or eat. I humbly told JoJo that I'd keep my sleepers because being sleep deprived was torture!!

I'm remembering that from long ago because the past few nights Mary-Gail hasn't been sleeping. She'll get 2 or 3 hours of sleep and then wake up in a coughing fit. She can't breathe (she's all stuffy) and she cries because her throat is so sore it hurts when she coughs. She coughs, coughs, coughs, cries; then coughs some more and gags, and if I can't calm her down, she throws-up. I feel helpless as my little baby looks at me for help. She clings to my shirt as we rock and I soothe her. Mary-Gail is my cuddler and still curls up into a ball on my lap. I know she'll recover from her cough - she always does - and soon I'll have my little sleeper again (BTW she's a much better eater now).

No comments:

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007