Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Silver Lining

This post should have been called "The Good, The Bad, The Oh-My-Gosh!" or, "Warning! Not for weaklings" or, "Why does it smell like a farm in here?"

I transferred the girls to their cribs shortly after we arrived home from our shopping excursion at IKEA. I didn't bother putting their shorts back on after changing them because it was hot and I knew they would fall asleep on the drive home.

I commented to JoJo as she & I went downstairs to visit, that I thought Mary-Gail had a dirty diaper. Should I change her? Nah, let her sleep.

So, the girls wake up from their nap and I come up to get them. I could smell dirty diaper (farm manure smell), but I didn't give it a second thought as I knew Mary-Gail had a dirty bum. But here's what I walked into find. Weaklings, avert your eyes...

What's wrong, Mr. Frog? You're smiling, but you don't look so happy.

Mr. Elephant, how come you have streaks on your face/body? And what's on the wall?

Mary-Gail, where's your diaper?!!!

OK. Time-out. This is really ironic. Rebecca took her diaper off yesterday morning. I panicked because she normally has a morning poop. Luckily, she didn't (phew!) and all was well (except for Rebecca's pee soaked socks & bedding). Both girls will pull their diapers off if they don't have bottoms on, but I thought for sure they were so tired from shopping that they would be zonked for their nap time...

Nope. Poop is much more interesting

Lovely little poop pellets

EVERYWHERE!!

Silver Lining?

  • Mary-Gail's poop was NOT mushy. Can you imagine...?
  • I clipped her fingernails the night before
  • I have indoor plumbing
  • I spent all last week and part of the week before cleaning up vomit and serious diarrhea from ear infection (Mary-Gail) and stomach flu (Rebecca & Mary-Gail). I can do ONE mess
  • The backyard hose and my HUGE washing machine, which I can program to run for a 99 minute wash in HOT water
  • Clorox Clean-up is my best friend

Yeah, there is some silver lining to this story.

P.S. I stripped Mary-Gail's tank and socks (why couldn't she have just pulled off her socks instead of her diaper?) and threw her in the tub. And yes, I did use the scrub brush on her hair, hands, legs, face, all over!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Amanda,

The "poop" was way to graphic!!! I had to cover up Fern's eyes! I thought I was witnessing a CSI episode!

At least it wasn't mustard.

Keep those terrific little nieces of mine clean! Bad mom.

Love you,

Jason

Anonymous said...

hi manda
funny story! i've been there many times myself! it's always a surprise,and somehow you never get used to it!
love kris

The Brown's said...

HOLY CRAP!!!! Seriously WOW I am so sorry. I am sure the shock of it all was the worst. Plus where do you start poop clean up? Did the poop smell come out of their room beacuse other wise you might have to move!

Jessica said...

You'll be glad you documented this feces fest because everyone has one of 'those' stories. Wow, just wow. I have a friend with twins and she has to duct tape their diapers shut for that very reason--they love to pull their diapers off. What a stage of discovery and irreverence!

Anonymous said...

Oh my Goodness.......My kids never did that.... Ha! what a stinky little mess...I loved the pics, way to really put me in the moment, I felt as if I had walked into it.

The girls are growing up, I can't believe it! I loved the Park on Fathers Day and the naked pics in the backyard on the new swing.... Man it must be nice to be a kid in your house!!

I still remember you in the back seat coming home from the beach saying... "I'm naked", 'I'm naked" the girls are just like their momma.

Love ya! Darleen

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for remembering us, we love you guys a lot. My day would not be a good one if I didn’t look at kemp kuties. We just had a great time showing this e mail to every one in the office because they all think they have ownership with the girls.

Amanda thank you for being the best mother I have ever seen. You are right on top of everything. I believe every mother has one of these days. Its called "initation to the real world." I will be calling you this weekinn.

Love Gail

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

One tip that has worked for us--onesies. As my boys have gotten older they can certainly access their diapers now, but the wonder that is onesies has kept their adventures at bay. Alas as potty training looms I am sad to lose my onsie friends ;). Hang in there and good luck with the clean up :).
Heidi (from UVMOM)

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007