Saturday, March 22, 2008

The power of the "shhhhhh"

I still marvel at how a simple sound can have such a huge effect on my babies. "Shhhhhh-ing" them when they're upset, sad, crying, too tired to sleep, too tired to cope, etc., always yields a calming response. It's not just for babies and children; see, I've been "shhhhhh-ing" Rebecca since our hospital admittance on Tuesday, and I find myself "shhhhhh-ing" me now too. I'm overwhelmed at what's been happening, and frustrated that I don't have any control. Oh, the power of "shhhhhh-ing." It calms me.

Find more about the power of "shhhhh" and the "Five 'S's" by reading/watching "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp.

3 comments:

The Brown's said...

I am sure you are just exhausted! I am happy to hear that Rebecca is home and doing better. We missed you all at the Easter party and just look forward to when we can have the family all together again. Hurray cold season is almost over!!!

Kemp Kuties said...

I know right. Last night I changed Rebecca's diaper on our bed, and she looked around the room with her sleepy eyes and smiled! What a relief it is to be home.

Jessica said...

Yay! You are home.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007