Tuesday, October 9, 2007

When the littles are sick

Oh what a week it's been already! My littles are sick and it seems like forever for them to get better. Mary-Gail still has a cold and cough that makes her cry. Rebecca is running fevers left & right. Yesterday I took her to the on-call pediatrician: she was running a low-grade fever of 99.6 - 100.4. She was very uncomfortable, inconsolable and just not her usual self. My decision to take her in was confirmed when she threw-up all over both of us. My life line, sis-in-law Carol, came and got Mary-Gail and I took Rebecca in to be checked at 7:50 pm.

The on-call doc checked her ears, and guess what? Yup, and ear infection. Although he didn't want to give us an antibiotic because her ear infection was only a 3.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Instead he said to watch her and if she is still fussy by Wednesday, to take her to our regular ped's office and have her seen again. Just what I didn't want to hear...I put Rebecca down at 9:30 pm (2 1/2 hrs past her bedtime) and lay down for the night.

2:22 am and Rebecca is crying. Not what she does when she wakes up. I lift her out of the crib and she's hot - fever of 101. I fixed her a bottle and gave her some Motrin. We snuggle for a while and then at 3 am she throws up on us. I wake Tony by calling him into the girls' room and he helps me and Rebecca get in the tub. This was our first tub together. Too bad it was at 3 in the morning and Rebecca was sick. I check her temp again when we change into clean jammies - 99.9. Good. Next I wake Mary-Gail and feed her. She is a good eater and feels lots better after being on the antibiotic. I go back to bed at 4 am.

7 am and we're up again with coughs, stuffy noses and fevers. That's how my days have been lately. Sleepless, worrisome and helpless. Rebecca's fever reached 103.5 and we rushed her to our peds office. After we gave her some Motrin and a cool washcloth on her forehead, her fever dropped to 100.4. The doc got her stats and Rebecca's O2 was low. There was some rattling in her chest too, and her right ear was more inflamed. We did a breathing treatment in the office and finally got a Rx for amoxicilian for her ear infection.

Awful having your babies sick. Awful not being able to fix it. Awful having your heart break when they cry. Just awful

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hi Amanda,

So sorry to hear that the girls have been sick!!! I hope they get better soon. It's amazing how agonizing motherhood can be because you ache when the babies experience discomfort and you suffer when you don't know how to fix 'it' for them. You are doing a great job and seem to know all the right things to do. I pray a million times a day now that I am a mom so I'll keep you and the baby babes in my prayers. Love, Jessica

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007