Thursday, October 4, 2007

Ear Infection #1

I called the Peds office this morning due to Mary-Gail's unrelenting cough and cries. I had tried everything to help ease her discomfort: Tylenol, saline nose drops, using that awful bulb syringe, and vicks vapo rub since Sunday, but there was no relief. Mary-Gail was so sick and I couldn't help her. I'm supposed to be the mom that knows everything and knows what to do and how to make my babies feel better. And I couldn't help Mary-Gail.

Our NP, SueAnn, is so remarkably wonderful. She is so caring and loving towards my babies. She was visibly sad when she saw my red-eyed, coughing, stuffy-nosed Mary-Gail. A quick peek in her ears and SueAnn announced that Mary-Gail had an ear infection. My heart jumped to my throat and I almost started crying. I felt so awful, as if this was my fault. SueAnn said we were doing everything we were supposed to, but to treat an ear infection we needed an antibiotic. She prescribed amoxicillan, and gave us some cough medicine for Mary-Gail. SueAnn said she heard rattles in Mary-Gail's throat, but not her lungs, which was such a relief! I did not want to hear that in addition to the ear infection Mary-Gail had bronchitis.

We discussed this year's flu season and RSV season. The girls will need two flu shots each month. They may not qualify for the Synergis RSV shot since they've been off oxygen for more than 6 months (Rebecca since January, Mary-Gail since May). That worries me because I can't do another round in the NICU. Our girls' are still very susceptible to RSV. So, up goes the note on the door and a quarantine will be in effect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darn those earaches!! Thank heavens for antibiotics. There is absolutely nothing that compares to being puked on. So gross. Only our beloved kids can get away with doing it, right? I suppose that's true love...loving and aching for those puking on us. =) Get well, Mary-Gail!! -Marsha

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007