Sunday, September 12, 2010

Monday, August 30th - At Sea


Monday were were at sea as the captain steered us towards the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula. I learned that the Baja Peninsula is the 2nd longest peninsula in the world, second only to Italy. "Mr. Smarty Pants "Lovey already knew that - he knows a lot of things, but he didn't know that the boat's pool water was actually salt water pumped in from the ocean (neither did I until today when we both jumped in the pool). Mary-Gail was tired from our travels and the sea air encouraged her sleepiness, so she kept her thumb and tickah close. I am, and always will be since living in Charleston, SC, a sucker for humidity; I love it.

Mary-Gail and Becca found their perfect perch. We stayed here for nearly an hour
Hello my beauties

Lovey & I had heard that Royal Caribbean's child programs were awesome, and prior to us departing I did some research online to see what they were all about. We took the girls with us to Deck 12, where all the child programs were located, and toured the "Aquanauts" room for 3-5 year olds. Their room had a cool constructed boat, a giant mushroom, coloring/crafting room, books, laptops, and a flat-screen TV (which my girls took to like a moth to a flame. Gratefully it was only on during the open-house tour). The Aquanaut's program times were from 9am - 11:50 am; 2pm - 5pm; 7pm - 10pm (or until 2 am if you wanted a "late-over"). These pictures were from Saturday (an 'at sea' day)

Aquanauts entrance
The crafting/coloring room
The girls had only been 2 times before, but remembered to take their shoes off and put them in their cubby
The boat within a boat. Becca's in the port hole window
I enrolled them in the program for the week; however, we only made it 3 times, each of those times was during the morning session, and each of those days was an "at sea" day. Swimming and napping (and drinking Vitiman D milk) took the better part of our "at sea" days, and also Lovey and I didn't want to be away from our girls during the evening hours. But Becca & Mary-Gail LOVED it, and they made some pretty cool things like these butterflies from Friday, also an "at sea" day:
Deck 12 also had an arcade. Awesome! Becca & Mary-Gail jumped on every game there was (except Guitar Hero). The girls didn't care if they played for real, or pretend, but I suggested to Lovey that he put a $10.00 arcade credit on his room card for the girls (and me) to play. I loved the games, and was quickly reminded of my friend, Ashley's, awesome garage filled with arcades. I was never any good at arcades or home video games - too much of an OCD freak w/needing to get all the points to get past the beginning levels - but it was fun playing again w/Lovey and the girls.
I should have gotten a video of them pretend-playing this off-road Hummer arcade. They both kept shouting, whipping their steering wheels around & around, and smacking the blue "Boost" button.
They were so funny to watch.

Monday night was "Formal Night" for seated dinning. Lovey & I ex'd the formal dress this time around (rented tuxes that don't fit right, and, oh yeah, remember my nightmare of stuffing my bra w/my swimsuit padding? It totally worked it's way out of my bra and no one told me!!! Yes, I was 32 years old and I still stuffed my bra). Instead we walked the Promenade Deck - Deck 5. Becca was so hilarious to watch. She'd run ahead of me, see something exciting, run back and say, "Mom! Can you believe.....? That's so cool!" and then she was off again. Lovey had super, sleepy, Mary-Gail in tow, and Becca would occasionally by-pass me to run to Lovey and say the same thing to him, "Dad! Can you believe...? That's so cool!"


Monday's sunset was especially pretty. I can't remember the last time our little family watched the sunset together. Perhaps never? Maybe that's why Monday night was so memorable to me - Lovey doting on me and our girls, and watching the sun dip into the Pacific Ocean as a family. A great memory.
This is what we found on our bed when we returned to our room after supper (and after downing my 3 cartons of milk)...
A Sea Turtle wearing Mary-Gail's sunglasses!
A present to the girls from our room attendant, Mr. Lukmann
I absolutely love Lovey's face - this was his face the WHOLE WEEK.
He couldn't have been happier!
Silly little girls

Lovey is reviewing the plan for tomorrow. We arrive in Cabo San Lucas on Tuesday!!

1 comment:

Spence and Car said...

oh manda looks like so much fun i hope you relaxed and put your feet up and enjoyed your time. the pic look amazing the sea is beautiful! next time were tagging along with you

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007