Thursday, September 16, 2010

LA Sightseeing tour, Sun, Sept 5th

Lovey & booked our final excursion with Royal Caribbean for a sight-seeing tour of LA. Our return flight to SLC wasn't until 6pm that night, and we had to disembark by 10 am, so it was a good "filler" for us. The excursion was to start @ 8:30 am. We were instructed to meet in the Savoy Theatre at 8:15 am w/our bags in tow, and we'd disembark the big boat as a group. Oh, not so, not so. After waiting in the theatre for over an hour, being treated by Becca & Mary-Gail's pretend play, we finally wheeled our luggage out, said good -bye to the big boat, and entered the customs station. Can I just say that Becca & Mary-Gail are such good playmates! They humored me and Lovey, as well as several other passengers, while we waited in the theatre: Becca was the Mommy, and Mary-Gail was the baby, and the baby had to take her medicine, but she didn't want to...(seems very close to the real life scenario).

Climbing in the tour van
Don't know if you can read the writing on the blockade in the background - it says 5,000 lbs. I told Lovey that I felt like I weighed 5,000 lbs...and with that he blew a surprised whistle
Beautiful architecture. The dome looks like a bell my Grandma Next Door had in her china collection
According to our guide, this was a standard looking home for the early 1940's

Ritz Carlton (I love that name, "Carlton")
This is the Philharmonic Concert hall. It's a crazy design, but it's said to have the best acoustics. The sheets of stainless steel had to be "dulled" because the reflection from the sun was blinding.
Some famously delicious breakfast house (I didn't get a picture of the famously delicious hotdog establishment called "Pinks" either. The line at Pinks longer than this line, and it was only 10:30am)
hot! hot! hot!
"Dragnet" building

These designed were etched on the cement barriers along the freeway. Pretty cool
Seriously?
Hollywood stars. I desperately wanted to find Judy Garland's star, but was overwhelmed with just how many stars there were = both sidewalks were covered with them for miles & miles





The "Rat Pack" would convene at the Pig'n Whistle to discuss business, but would rarely order anything. The waiters would get angry b/c the Rat Pack would stay for hours and hours. The waiters began to argue with the Rat Pack and would try and kick them out; in turn, the Rat Pack would taunt the waiters...turned the establishment famous.
I would have liked to hike up to the "Hollywood" sign...perhaps another time, and definitely another dollar
Kodak Theatre
That way to Hollywood
Mary-Gail walked on the glass-tile-brook road, and Becca practiced her cat-walking skills. She gets it from her Daddy :)

And Mary-Gail gets her sweet tooth from me. Lovey spotted a Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and got us 2 Carmel apples to share. Well, he got him and the girls a Carmel apple to share, and I got my own. He knows me so well!


"Departed" won the Oscar for Best Picture of 2006 - the year the girls were born

Next Stop: the farmer's market


Gilmore gas station
Aboard the double-decker electric trolley for a ride through the market
Beautiful, clear blue skies - matched Mary-Gail's eyes perfectly
Mary-Gail announced to everyone on the trolley, "Ma - I have to go poo. I have to go poo now." So we got back off the double-decker trolley, waltzed into World Market to use their bathroom. Becca & I found this awesome reddish-orange papassian chair. Becca loved it and was terribly disappointed that Mary-Gail did too.
Becca lovin' lounging on the chair
Becca completely frustrated that Mary-Gail loves the papassian chair too
After everyone had their turn in the clean, air-conditioned bathroom at World Market, we walked back to the entrance of the Farmer's Market
.

Please, won't you be my neighbor? I have my sister, Kristie, to thank for my early introduction to M A C. I love their lipstick - simply the best ever!
Becca was leading Mary-Gail as they walked hand-in-hand

They take good care of each other
Back @ the entrance I got distracted at a booth with some fabulous scarves. Lovey was with the girls and when I turned to check on them, this is what I saw:
Rebecca & Mary-Gail - fishing for money
Did you know that Lovey used to do this also? Only he wasn't 3 1/2 years old; he was a teenager who acted 3 1/2 year old :)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Did you know Soren's middle name is Carlton? I love it too. I heard a Phillip Glass concert at the Disney concert hall and it as phenomenal. It's an extraordinary building. Down town LA is pretty edgy, eh? What a fun way to end the trip. Having twins is the best.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007