Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pappy's Cooking School

Pappy is amazing. This is him in March, making Banana Nut Bread with Reese, Becca & Mary-Gail. Pappy brought over all the ingredients (he knows better than to trust I have food in my pantry - he's seen how bare it is), and he gave each of the girls an assignment: Reese was in charge of the brown sugar, Becca & Mary-Gail cracked the eggs (in separate dishes, mind you) and helped Pappy mix the bananas. The mini-bread loaves actually tasted good, and all three girls were so proud of themselves. They LOVE being of service and being helpful.

Becca takes a turn helping Pappy mix the bananas
Reese is concentrating on measuring the brown sugar -
gotta pack it in the measuring cup
Mary-Gail takes a turn with the mixer - Pappy wasn't sure if she or Becca could hold the mixer on their own (they do now though, especially after graduating from Pappy's Cooking School)


Teaching children to cook takes a lot of patience. Pappy's been able to develop that patience, and I have too, to some degree. I admit I still exhale several times when we crack eggs: Mary-Gail is "She-ra, the Princess of Power" and squeezes the guts out of the eggs - literally - completely crushing the shell into the bowl. She quickly smiles and says, "Oopsie." A few more exaggerated exhales from me, and a smile later, I shrug it off. No worries: No one has said anything to me about egg-shells in their brownies...yet.

No comments:

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007