Friday, October 15, 2010

Is my mom coming, or what?

That's what Mary-Gail said to her teacher on Wednesday. "Is my mom coming, or what?" Miss Kenzie told Mary-Gail that Mommy usually comes to get her and Becca when they're outside playing. Didn't satisfy Mary-Gail; she insisted that I come and get her and Becca from school right now!

I love the reception Becca & Mary-Gail give me when I drop them off AND pick them up from school. Becca & Mary-Gail always say, "thanks for taking us to school mom." Ahh, it's seriously so cute. Then they skip off to their class, hang up their coats, and give their teachers big hugs. It makes my guilt of leaving them for 8+hours a day a little less painful.

But my favorite is when I come to get them after work. Oh how these sweet little girls race to me with their arms outstretched, screaming all the way, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!" I snatch them up in my arms and we spin around and around. Becca squeezes my neck, and gives me big kisses, "muah!" And Mary-Gail seems to always say, "Mommy you came back!" (which brings back my enormous guilt of being away). Oh how my time with Becca & Mary-Gail has changed! Everything seems so scheduled now: have to rush through our used-to-be relaxed morning routine so I can rush us out the door for school & work; have to rush home to get started on my other job (home business - which is seriously on life support), and then I only have 2 hours left before bedtime @ 8pm. And sadly little Miss Mary-Gail seems to spend 1 1/2 hours in time out (not really, but really).

I know I'm singing the same sad song of working moms, but seriously? This sucks. I'm so sorry that my mom had to work (she doesn't ever complain, my mom, she is seriously a saint); and I'm so sorry that many of my friends have to work, including my best friend and sister, Joanna. I can say that before I didn't "know." I didn't know the turmoil mothers feel as they leave their precious little ones to work outside the home. I didn't know that time with your children could be so cruelly cut short. And I'm sorry for not being more sensitive. These realizations - these heartaches - are making me better: more aware of others, more understanding, less critical & judgemental. I hope to pay-it-forward with the little "free time" I have and be better. So now that I'm done complaining :) I understand that my time is too short to complain and be angry at these situations. After all, I do have two beautiful, intelligent, happy and very lovable girls, and they love school...and they love me.

2 comments:

KESLER KREW...Cami said...

yeah it's definantly hard and relatable. when i was pregnant with jillian and working, towards the end of my pregnancy, lucy would wake-up every morning with me (three days a week) at 6a.m. while I was getting ready and cry. and cry. so of course, as i drove to work, i cried and cried. but its always best to look at the positive sides of tough situations (cliche right?) but you have a great job and RKIDS is pretty much the bomb.com, right? not that is makes it easier...but your darling girls luv you & are thriving!
lol: is my mom coming, or what?

Jessica said...

Oh Amanda--we have a tough job managing work, family, and all of that fierce mother guilt! I've had to battle it since my boys were 4 months old. Soren asks me every morning and even several times throughout the evening, "Not going to work mommy?" It's rough that someone so little has such a big worry in his life. They know we love them and they can take comfort that we DO consistently come home and pick them up from school. You are doing a great job! Those girls adore you!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007