Saturday, March 6, 2010

Does this look "Normal" to you?

I didn't think so. This is the tooth that I had to see an Endodontist for this time last year ($1,000 appointment!). Since last March, my bottom gum has been infected off-and-on, and I've been on several series of antibiotics trying to clear it up. The antibiotics didn't work - I could still slide my finger up my gum and puss would come out (gross, I know). Last week I made an appointment for a Periodontist, commonly known as a "Gum Gardener."
My appointment was on Wednesday, and I warned the Periodontist that I had a small "worn-like growth on my gum/tooth." And he replied, "That's something I've never seen before - let's take a look!" And then the Gum-Gardener slid his scrapper-pick instrument in my mouth and proceeded to "rake my gum."
Oooh, the pain! He scrapped off the "worm," which was some funky calcium build-up, and revealed my infected gum. I feared the worst: tooth extraction, gum graft, & a $2,000 dental implant. Well, the news wasn't that bad - I don't have to have a dental implant...yet. I do, however, have to have a BONE GRAFT & a GUM GRAFT. Sadly the X-ray showed significant bone loss and consequently gum loss.
I'm having these fabulous grafts done on March 22nd. I'm a little frustrated about this whole situation; I am ridiculous about brushing and flossing my teeth, and gargling with the purple Listerine (daily), I just don't understand why this happened to my teeth. But, I'm following my mantra for 2010: "Come what may and love it." And I will - I'm planning on eating whatever I want until March 22nd, because I won't be able to eat for a week after the procedure!

6 comments:

noy9ers said...

Amanda I am so sorry about your dental headaches. Your teeth are beautiful even the wormy one. Best of luck with your appointment.

Kimberly said...

So so sorry Amanda. That does not look like it feels good at all. Hang in there...you have such a great attitude.

Spence and Car said...

oh roo i can only imagine your pain. i'm scared i might be next....i do tend to copy you with everything! twins, moving, crazy teeth... i wish there was something to say to make you feel better....ooh i got it lets toilet paper dr fords house that should teach em!

Jessica said...

This story makes me want to DIE. I hate it for you.

Ann said...

I can't believe you are still having problems with that tooth. That must have been so painful. I am so sorry. Good luck with everything!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007