Monday, October 26, 2009

School Days

Rebecca & Mary-Gail LOVE going to school. Did I stress how much they love it? They L O V E it, and I'm thrilled that they do. Every Monday @ 10:25 am Rebecca & Mary-Gail put on their backpacks and we head to school. Several ladies in my ward decided to start "Joy School" for their 3-year olds, and although I didn't know what Joy School was at the time, I was adamant that I be a part of it too. Amy put together the school schedule for the year, rotating between 7 ladies who host the 8 kids @ their house (8 kids because of my twins), and they teach a letter, number, color, & shape.

Rebecca & Mary-Gail going to school @ Miss Holly's house (Oct 12th)
Miss Holly was teaching the colors ORANGE & BLACK,
so naturally I dressed Mary-Gail in those colors.
Becca was set on wearing PURPLE!
"Let's GO Mommy!"
Becca double-checking her piggy; Mary-Gail double-checking her backpack
Sisters walking to school @ Miss Holly's house


School started Monday, September 14th, but we missed it since were still in Walt Disney World. No worries! Rebecca & Mary-Gail loved WDW, and didn't know about school yet. Their first time at school was at our house (September 21st). I taught the letter C, the Number 1, the color BLUE, and the shape Square. It was so much fun having all these little girls at our house! I had everyone wash their hands right away (I am-and will always be-a stickler on that!), and then we mixed ingredients for cupcakes. I made up a song as we mixed the cupcake batter (of course!), and while the cupcakes were cooking we read The Very Hungry Caterpillar. We gathered in the kitchen,and the girls watched as I cut up an egg carton into 3-egg cup sections. I passed out crayons for them to color their egg cups (I didn't have paint, so they just used crayons - "C" for crayons!), then I attached pipe cleaners and viola! They had their very own hungry caterpillar. We went outside to see if we could find things a caterpillar would eat. We played outside for a little bit, and then came back inside for another craft. I prepared a Large Letter "C," which I glued onto BLUE SQUARE construction paper, and then had the girls glue cotton balls ("C" for cotton balls & clouds) onto their paper or on their Large Letter C.


We went back outside & played, then came back inside, washed our hands again, and decorated our cupcakes with icing & sprinkles. By then it was 12 noon, and everyone's mom was showing up to gather her little munchkin. It was a great 1 1/2 hours, and I couldn't believe how quickly the time went!!! Plus, I was grateful to have gotten out all the craft supplies & actually do a craft with my littles.

Here's what I teach next:
Nov 16th: Letter I, Number 4, Color brown, and Shape rectangle.
Feb 1st: Letter O, Number 8, Colors red & pink, and the Shape heart.
Mar 22nd: Letter U, Number 12, Color green, and Shape octagon.
May 17th: Review all the letters, Numbers 19 & 20, Review all the colors, and Review all the shapes. Graduation is the following Monday, May 24th!!!

P.S. I'm saving toilet paper rolls for my turn on Nov 16th. I hope my craft idea works out like I've planned...

3 comments:

~j. said...

I saw you drop off your girlies today across the street from my house!

and...good on ya for your handwashing rules. I'm the same.

Jessica said...

What cute little students!

noy9ers said...

I am curious what toliet paper rolls have to do with I, 4, brown or rectangles but I have some from scouts if you don't have enough. Maybe it is just a clueless day for me.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007