Friday, February 8, 2008

Tuesday night routine

As most of you know, since October I've been spending my Tuesday nights volunteering on the NICU floor with the Parent Support Network. I can't tell you the flood of emotions that overcame me as I walked onto the NICU floor for that first time in October. It was the first time I'd been back since we were discharged. This time as a volunteer, not as a parent of preemie twins.

My eyes immediately focused to the left where Rebecca & Mary-Gail's isolette beds were. Panic spread through my body as I saw a group of RN's, a Neonatal Nurse Practitioner, and a Neonatal Doctor gathered by the bed of the NICU baby. I've seen that before – with Mary-Gail. I was frozen as I watched from a far; I didn't know if I could do this again. But I did, somehow. Just like each day we were in the NICU: somehow you keep going and keep moving.

Now I benefit from my Tuesday night routine. Although the drive to the hospital still quickens my heart, my heart bursts after we visit the moms, dads, families and leave small gifts of love for them and their babies at their baby's bedside. Truly I am grateful for my time in the NICU. Truly my girls are miracles at the hand of their Heavenly Father. My Tuesday nights remind me of my precious gifts.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I wish you would have been a volunteer at my NICU! How kind of you.

Kemp Kuties said...

I would have loved to be there with you. I'm sorry I didn't do much to help you through that terrible time.

Jessica said...

Ahh, Amanda. Where was I when you were going through your NICU trauma? At least we share the sensations, aches, and joys known only to parents of NICU babies.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007