Monday, May 17, 2010

Phoenix is Heaven

I never thought I'd use those two words - "Phoenix" and "Heaven" in the same sentence - but it is true. I am in Phoenix visiting my baby sister, and I am in Heaven because I am helping my baby sister care for her brand-new, baby twin girls. Who could have ever imagined that my baby sister, Carly, and I would share in the joy of twins...and GIRL twins. Amazing!
Here are the twins!! Twin B: Quincy Joanna (in the pink-striped blanket) &
Twin A: Tenley Magnolia (in the green-striped blanket)
Me and Tenley Magnolia shortly after I arrived Wednesday night - right on the girls' 4th week of life
(Tenley is smiling at me!)
Rows & rows of bottles ready to be heated up
Reminds me of my fridge 3 1/2 years ago. Only my bottles would have been much smaller (Carly's critter's are already up to 5 ounces every 3 hours!), and I would have had several liters of Diet Coke...and no MinuteMaide Limeade
Me, Becca, & Mary-Gail (on the Boppy)
See Becca & Mary-Gail's bottles - they only held 60 cc (2 oz each)!
Lovey snapped this picture a few days after our girls came home from the hospital.
I kept complaining, "where is the girls' nurse? Who is going to take care to these girls?!"
This is one seriously happy - but still very tired - and more experienced w/feeding & burping two-babies-at-once, Aunt!
Quincy in my arms; Tenley (smiling) in my lap

Motherhood is so jammed packed full of emotions! And it's very difficult to feel like you're doing your best when you're so stinking exhausted. JoJo & I had a plan for when we came to help CarCar: we were on the night shift. Carly needed to sleep; no "if's, and's or but's" about it. My Mom was with Carly for the 1st week, and did her best helping with the girls, but wasn't able to do the night-shift alone. Then JoJo flew in and absolutely insisted that she take the night-shift for the entire week that Jo was here (and if you know JoJo, she not only did the night-shift each night, but she also fixed supper, did laundry, ran errands...). Then Carly was solo for 4 days & nights until Spencer's Mom flew in. Carly said, "Those 4-days/nights were the hardest to get through." But Spencer's Mom, like my Mom, wasn't able to do the night-shift, and so Carly operated on less then 3 hours of sleep each day until I flew in. And I, like JoJo (except for the "fixing dinner, doing laundry, and running errands" part of JoJo) have done the night-shift every night I've been here.

I mention this only because in these last two photos I was on the night-shift in both photos. But the different expression on my face has to do with sleep! I am averaging about 2.5 hours of sleep a night in both pictures, but I know that the mom in the 2nd picture (Carly) is sleeping! The mom in the first picture is not, is seriously sleep deprived, and is not enjoying this "thing" called Motherhood.

So what I know is that Carly will NOT experience the horrid torture of sleep-deprivation while I am here. I love being of service to her, and I love that CarCar trusts me to care for her baby-babes. But mostly I love that Carly knows that to be her best self, she needs to sleep. I wish I could have told that to the 1st-time Momma in the photo above - the one who would wear her eye-mask all day, hoping for one lousy minute to close her eyes and rest. I also know that when I go home, I get to sleep through the night...a full 8 hours...ahhh.

CarCar, you wear your eye mask tonight with style! I love you!!!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

It is SO, SO extraordinary that your baby sister had twins! I remember when my sister came to visit when Asher and Soren were babies and I learned SO much from her as she easily handled both babies (while about eight months pregnant) and fed them at the same time. It's absolutely awesome when your older sister has already had twins. Such sweet girls and what a sweet sister!

Spence and Car said...

yes, amanda i have slept, slept so good that i can't imagine life without you here. i'm nervouse for you to leave, who will make me laugh the way you do and lets be honest who will i talk diaper talk with?? love you and i hope to repay you some day. you are the best sister and aunt. tenley told me you're definitely her favorite just don't tell jo>:)

The Brown's said...

you are the bestest sister ever:)
LOVE the photos!!!

Unknown said...

How fun for you to be able to spend time with Car and the QT bugs. What a great sister you are!

Kimberly said...

Those bottles of your girls are WAY small...can't believe that your sister had twins just like you did. How fun! I bet your sister is loving your help.
I miss talking with you, but love to read your blog. (if you haven't read my recently...I'm pregnant!)

Anonymous said...

Amanda it was so sweet of you to come down!! (and so nice to meet you at the shower... i am such a blog stalker) These pictures are too sweet!

tessa said...

Hi Amanda,
Fellow blog-stalker here. So nice to meet you at the shower as well. You are such a good sister and Carly counting down till you could make it was adorable. She sure loves you.
It's true a mom of twins knows how to hold two, juggle two, and knows SLEEP is essential no matter if the two want you to sleep or not:) So glad you could impart all your know how. We'll do our best to help out in your absence but come back again soon and bring your little sweeties. All the pics of them are simply adorable.
Hugs, Tessa

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007