Friday, May 30, 2008

I've lost my sunshine

It's the last day of May and I've lost my sunshine. Could it be because I'm having overwhelming feelings of inadequacy at being a mom? Am I nourishing my kids with all their fruits & veggies? Are they playing with the "correct" toys? Am I creating a healthy environment where their creativity and imagination can grow?

I watched a GMA news report discussing the importance of talking with your babies and toddlers. The PhD's and Pediatricians involved in the report said that you need to speak at least 17,000 words to your kids daily (that does not include what they hear on the radio or what they hear from watching TV/movies). 17,000 words a day?! I don't even think I know 17,000 words. The report went on to say that those children who were exposed to 17,000 words a day had a head start in school, had higher IQ scores, and developed a love for words and reading.

Just when I was about to ask how you know if you're speaking 17,000 words a day, the report flashed a wonderful, little gadget (looks like a pager) that actually counts your words and records the data. You can upload the data to your computer and create graphs on how you're doing. Nice - one more thing that shows me how inadequate I feel and how much of a failure I am. Plus, it only costs $400. Buy me two!

Next, I was yelled at by my very unfriendly neighbor yesterday evening as I tried to wrangle everyone outside for a walk to see Aunt Carol & Uncle Jack before bedtime. The said neighbor reprimanded me for not having ArlaMae & Pixie on leashes (something I normally do, but I was too tired/lazy to do it). Not only did he yell at me, but he humiliated me in front of our other neighbors who came outside to see the spectacle. Then, ArlaMae decided she was going to poop on his lawn. Yes, she pooped on his lawn. ArlaMae must have been holding her poop all day because she kept going and going and going. And guess what? I forget to grab a garbage sack. So not only did I get yelled at for not having my girls on leashes (I KNOW better!), but I also got yelled at because I didn't have a "collection bag." (I ALWAYS bring a bag. I ALWAYS bring a BAG!). I suppose I justified not leashing the girls or grabbing a sack because we were just going to see Aunt Carol & Uncle Jack (only 4 houses down from us). Too bad we didn't get there.

So, due to these things and tons of other things I've lost my sunshine. I don't know where it is. I hope I find it soon...

...And even though Mary-Gail was super sunny and cute in her "You are my Sunshine" shirt, I still feel blue. How can that be?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so I totally show the Southern Kempanzees their cousins website all the time and they love looking at their cousins. one day I'll join the rest of the world and have one of these!
I was so sad for you today! Remember people will always have an opinion about what you are and are not doing what they feel is the right way of doing things.
It is just an opinion...ignore the negative ones.
You are an awesome Mom to both sets of girls and that is all that really matters...not how many words they are exposed to or any that other stuff.
Besides...good for Arla Mae taking up for you!!!!

Jessica said...

Ahh, Amanda. I wish I could be your sunshine! I'd cover you in girlfriend kisses, hugs, and massage your feet. Then I would take you to lunch and we'd chat, laugh, complain, and remember good times from the past then predict good times for the future. I'd remind you that you survived an extremely difficult pregnancy, a difficult NICU experience, are wonderfully raising two beautiful babies, and are also managing to be the most thoughtful, loving, and generous friend (sister/wife/and all the other roles you play). Love you! Wishing you rays of sunshine!!!

Jen and Dakota said...

Hey Amanda,
I can tell by the pictures you have up of ALL your girls! They are so happy. You do so much for them... your to girls are going to grow up heathly, happy and loving you and Tony for all you do for them. I wish you lots of sunshine and happiess. That neighbor of yours just needs to find something else to do then yell at a mom who is trying to let her kids be outside.. which a lot of people don't do!
You are a wonderful person, a loving mom and a great friend. I miss you!

The Brown's said...

Amanda- I think that we have all had these feelings of be the worlds worst mom at one time or another. I for one have seen the love and caring that you put into you parenting and can say without a doubt that you are a wonderful mother. Your girls are so lucky to have you. You can see the love that they have for you by the smiles on their faces when you walk into the room. I have felt truly blessed to be able to be able to watch you be a mom. You inspire me!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007