Monday, March 16, 2009

Broken Things to Mend

A book by Elder Jeffrey R Holland.

I picked up this book the first part of February, but had been too "afraid" to open it and begin reading. This book stared me in the face each morning and night as it continued to sit, unopened, on my nightstand beside the bed. Today I opened it.

The dedication page reads,
"To all who feel that someone - or something - they love is
irreparably broken or irretrievably lost.
It is not."
Perhaps it's because I saw Elder Jeffrey R Holland and (now) President Thomas S Monson speak at a church youth conference in Juneau, Alaska, when I was 18; perhaps it's because Elder Holland spoke in our church's Stake Conference in October 2007; or perhaps it's because Elder Holland's words always pierce my soul. I truly feel something when he talks, like he's talking to me directly. I know that Elder Jeffrey R Holland is a true & faithful disciple of Jesus Christ. And, after reading & sobbing from the dedication page, I believe that Elder Holland knows that "Broken" can be "Mended."

Might I share an excerpt from the first pages of this book. I haven't been able to move beyond these pages yet - I keep reading & re-reading them, soaking in each word.

"Many people are facing personal trials and family struggles, enduring conflicts fought in the lonely foxholes of the heart, trying to hold back flood waters of despair that sometimes wash over us like a tsunami of the soul. What follows is especially for those who feel their lives are broken, seemingly beyond repair.

"To all such I offer the surest and sweetest remedy that I know. It is found in the clarion call the Savior of the world Himself gave. He said it in the beginning of His ministry, and He said it in the end. He said it to believers, and He said it to those who were not so sure. He said to everyone, whatever their personal problems might be:
'Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and
I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for
I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls'
Matthew 11:28-29)."
"...I know of no other way for us to succeed or to be safe amid life's many pitfalls and problems. I know of no other way for us to carry our burdens or find what Jacob, in the Book of Mormon, called "that happiness which is prepared for the saints" (2 Nephi 9:43)."

And so the mending begins.

4 comments:

Spence and Car said...

thanks for making me cry...a good cry not a sad cry but a good cry...like always you make me cry because i can feel what you are saying...you are powerful

The Brown's said...

Oh sweet Manda, just got back into town and read your blog. First let me say that I am so sorry that you are having a hard time right now. There is nothing worse than to feel like you are in a pit so deep that you cant crawl out. Sometimes these earthly experiences can be so painful but a vital part of learning. Secondly you found a great book to help with your mending. I hope you love it:O) Know that you are in our prayers and if you need anything on your quest to mend you can always call. much love from us to you.

Jessica said...

Hi Amanda. I too love Elder Holland and have always felt immense comfort and inspiration in his words. I'm so glad you were brave enough to allow yourself the blessings of opening his book. His words are true. I'm glad the mending has begun. I can't wait to see you this weekend!

McEvoy Family said...

Amanda, I just read your blog posts for the past few. I can only say that I feel HORRIBLE. I can say I know how it feels to be "broken". It sucks to say the least. What I can tell you is, you are one amazing woman. I think that you are beautiful and I love your style! I have such admiration for what an amazingly great and loving mom you are. You may not believe the things people are telling you right now, but that doesn't mean that they aren't the truth. You are amazing to me, and I am sure that your girls don't feel any different! We are moving this coming weekend, but after that I want to hang out with you and take the girls for a while so you can do something just for yourself! We would love it. If you EVER want to chat, email me or call Lori for my number. I think you are great and somehow, someway, you will find your way out of this hard time.

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007