Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Not "one" but "four"

Tonight at 5:15 pm I picked Arla up from the vet's office after she had been there since 8:30 am. I insisted on speaking to the vet because the technician kept telling me Arla's tooth was abscessed (which it wasn't - the nerve was exposed and so it was super sensitive & easily irritated). The vet said dgo's eye teeth have very deep roots, and so to extract the eye tooth she had to dig really deep into Arla's gums. Arla has 5 stitches in her gums. Oh, and the vet pulled Arla's 3 teeth in the front - they were "loose." WHAT THE??? No phone call to me to inform me. No phone call to me to ASK me. No nothing. And what's worse is how the tech AND vet were treating me as I asked my batch of questions. I am usually not a complainer (yeah, right. After I've been complaining in the last several posts), but I am really, really, really upset.

When I dropped Arla off at 8:30 am I specifically asked them to give her some pain medicine (I also asked this to the tech on the phone when I called at 8:15 am to get Arla in). My worry was they were going to keep Arla in a kennel until 1 pm and then do the surgery and not have given her any pain meds in the meantime. Well, when I called at 10:30 am to check on Arla, they still hadn't sedated her and the tech wasn't sure if she had been given pain meds or not. So, when I picked Arla up I asked the vet what time they took her back to do surgery, she said it wasn't very long after I had dropped her off. What is the definition of "not very long" to them? Because 2 hours IS a long time - especially when you have a NERVE IN YOUR TOOTH EXPOSED!!!!!

2 comments:

The Brown's said...

I HOPE ARLA IS OK! WHAT DRAMA. I AM SO SUPRISED THAT HE NEVER CALLED TO TELL YOU WHAT WAS GOING ON. hOPEFULLY THINGS WILL SETTLE DOWN SOON!

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

I hope you are on your way to a new vet after this! I would have been furious (as a slightly obsessive dog owner myself). I would send a formal complaint to the office and to the Better Business Bureau. No pain meds, no help to you, and pulling teeth without permission, all completely unacceptable in my book! Hang in there Arla Mae!

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier

Kemp Kuties on the Charleston Pier
September 2007